At first glance this might look like a Hawaiian pizza but I changed a couple of things. I wanted something more refreshing and not too fatty so… I got rid of ham because I wasn’t crazy about it anyway, and replaced the normal bacon with Canadian bacon which is very lean and flavourful. However, le pièce de résistance was the grilled pineapple that turned out to be amazing… ’nuff said. Anyway, I’m more of an action guy so here’s the recipe which I highly recommend to all pizza lovers out there.
- ½ cup fresh pineapple slices ¾ inch thick (about 2cm)
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- ¼ cup of Canadian bacon cut into bite-size pieces
- 5oz (150g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 pizza dough for a 12in (30cm) pizza - use ⅓ of my Easy Pizza Dough recipe
- Cut pineapple in slices ¾ inch thick (about 2cm) and grill them 5 minutes each side on medium-high or until they are lightly charred. Cut into small cubes and set aside.
- Spread pizza crust with sauce, top with pineapple, Canadian bacon, cheese and cilantro/parsley.
- Preheat your oven to 500° F / 260° C then bake it for 10-15 minutes or until the crust becomes crisp and the cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.