If you wonder why this cake is called “sex in a pan” then fret no more, I finally figured it out. Initially it was probably called something like “six layers in a pan” but either typo or somebody wanted to make it more interesting, the name became “sex in a pan” and there are hundreds of people trying to master this recipe and only one that actually did it… ME! Well I am joking, it is not that hard though and I am really glad for the name change because it is an exquisite dessert and totally worth the heightened blood sugar levels.
Now, first layer is some crunchy stuff. You mix chopped pecans or whatever you want to use, with some sugar, butter and flour then press it into your baking dish. Bake it for about 20 minutes, let it cool down completely before you add the second layer. I actually placed mine into the freezer but make sure it is cool enough before you do it.
Second layer is made from cream cheese, powdered sugar and whipped cream. Mix these ingredients until light and fluffy and place it over the crust. Easy enough!
Third layer is vanilla pudding. Now, you can go pro and make your own home made vanilla pudding, or you can follow my easy/lazy “instant vanilla pudding bought from the grocery store” road and cut your time in half with no real loss of awesomeness :P. So, make your vanilla according to whatever says on the package, let cool then spread it onto the previous layer.
Here’s the thing, in order to make the pudding a bit harder I had to cut down the milk. My 5.1oz (144g) pudding package asked for 3 cups of milk, I only used 2. You get the idea.
Fourth layer same lazy option, Instant chocolate pudding. Let cool then… you get the “picture”.
Fifth layer is pretty simple too, just use two cups of whipped cream.
Sixth and final layer is all about chocolate. Shave a lot of it on top of your cake and if you think it is enough, sprinkle some more, trust me. Oh and dark kind works best.
At this point you are done but it really needs to be very chilled before you dig in. I would recommend to let it rest in the fridge over night… if you can.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 8oz (225g) package cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream or cool whip
- 1 package of instant vanilla pudding (5.1 oz or 144 g)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package of instant chocolate pudding (5.1 oz or 144 g)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipped cream or cool whip
- shaved chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 175° C.
- Oil/spray a 9x13 inch (23x34cm) baking dish.
- Mix chopped pecans or whatever you want to use, with some sugar, butter and flour then press it into your baking dish. Bake it for about 20 minutes, let it cool down completely before you add the second layer.
- Prepare your vanilla and chocolate puddings as per instructions on their packages.
- Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and whipped cream until light and fluffy. Let them cool for a while then place it evenly over the crust.
- On with the next layers now, evenly spread vanilla pudding.
- Add the chocolate pudding layer as well.
- Fifth layer is whipped cream spread over entire surface.
- Shave a lot of dark chocolate on top of your cake and enjoy!
- I would refrigerate over night but two hours might just be enough.