By now you all know magic cake recipes have simply filled out the web, everybody is making it and there are numerous variations as well. We also tried making some of these recipes, like chocolate, butterscotch and more, but this one remains my favorite. Weird enough, I am not a fan of home-made cakes and desserts in general, though I am known to break the rule every now and then. For example, this recipe, I wanted to know what was all the fuss about and the more I tried to understand, the more intriguing it became. If you look at the pictures you will notice a cake with three layers but only one batter will be used and that one is pretty thin as well, of crepe batter consistency.
Well, we made it and it was great, I mean I really, really like it. It is very easy to make and fast too. However, I am still trying to wrap my brain around how those layers separate from one another but I guess it is probably a consistency thing, temperature and baking time. In any case, it is really magic. Enjoy!!!
- 4 eggs (separate yolks from whites) at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g (¾ cup) sugar
- 125 g (1 stick or ½ cup) butter, melted
- 115 g (4 oz or Â¾ cup) of all purpose flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk lukewarm
- powdered sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 325° F / 160° C. Grease a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
- Separate eggs and add the egg whites to a mixer and mix until egg whites are stiff. Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute or two after which you can add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated.
- Slowly start adding the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40 to 70 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. The baking time could vary greatly depending on the oven, so take a peek at around 40 minutes and see how it looks.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar after cake has cooled.