We are not much on healthy recipes in this household, I mean we are trying but we are food bloggers after all and we like cooking and variety on our table, however every once in a while a great idea pops out of my wife’s head and turns out to be… a great one. This is what happened with this recipe actually, she is a fan of banana bread in general and though I am personally fed up with having the same bread almost every day for breakfast (whatever happened to bacon anyway), she thought it would be a healthy change for us, though my opinion on the matter didn’t really matter.
Anyway, in the end I had to agree, this banana bread is loaded with goodies, pecans, oats, whole wheat flour, you name it. You feel yourself losing weight as you eat, well… not really, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. For me though, bacon diet is still doing wonders so I will probably keep at it until my next annual blood work, if you get my drift but, again, it was surprisingly good and I truly recommend it to everyone looking to enhance their morning meals. Enjoy!
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tbsp rolled oats (optional)
- 1 tbsp Turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 175° C.
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside. You can use cooking spray, or some coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and pecans. Set aside.
- In another large bowl mash the bananas. Add eggs, vanilla extract, brown sugar and applesauce. Whisk everything together well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and using a spatula mix everything until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and if preferred sprinkle with the rolled oats and Turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.